After completing this session, you will be able to:
- describe career management management process identify where they are in the cycle..
- explain the concept of career planning in organization.
Managing career in is about and developing careers of employees to fulfill individual aspirations while fulfilling organizational needs of having capable and motivated employees in different roles and positions.
Career management is a joint endeavor by both the employee and the organization.
This chapter features important aspects of career management and give a broad understanding of how organization and individual employees should go about managing career.
Combination of needs & drives & serve as ‘anchor’ for a person to few related types of career. When career is anchored on one’s drives, needs and competencies, it enables the employee to maximize her potential and satisfaction. Same way, when organization consider career anchors as basis for growing and developing employees, it is able to get the best out of employees.
- Technical/functional competence
- General management (planning-organizing-managing ..skills)
- Pure challenge
CAREER PLANNING IN ORGANIZATIONS
A career can be defined as a sequence of positions, roles or jobs held by one person over period of time. Career planning and management involves efforts to match individual career ambitions and abilities with organizational needs and opportunities.
It involves following:
- Individual Assessment & Need Analysis: It is analysis and assessment of individual aspirations, interest and capabilities.
- Organizational Assessment & Opportunity Analysis: It is about taking stock of career opportunities in terms of roles and capabilities required for roles.
Need Opportunity alignment: It is about trying to match individual needs with role requirements in the organization. This alignment and matching is carried out through following
- Transfer, Rotation
- Promotion, Succession planning
Career counseling & development: This is phase where issues and challenges related employee career is addressed through counselling and specific interventions which might call for specific development initiatives both by individual and organization.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT CYCLES
Employee goes through different stages in a career life cycle. Understanding these different stages help to plan and develop career accordingly
- Exploration stage
- Establishment stage
- Maintenance stage
- Disengagement stage
Succession planning is a structured and systematic approach for managing key and critical positions by developing identified employees with necessary abilities and systematically developing them to hold these key positions when they fall vacant.
Succession planning involves following steps
- Identify key positions and assess requirements of these positions in terms of competency, experience and aptitude.
- Identify employees with potential who can fill these key positions in the future when they fall vacant.
- Formulate development plan for identified employees and implement the development plan.
- Fill the key positions if identified employees meet the requirement of the key positions.
BENEFITS OF CAREER MANAGEMENT
- Following are some of the benefits when career management is carried out well by the organization.
- Ensure availability of resources for future. Help to carry out succession planning for critical positions
- Enhances organizational ability to attract & retain talent
- Enhances employee engagement
Creating an outline to guide operations in a direction of a mission, vision, and values
Examination of current employees to identify people who can fill vacancies and be promoted.